How to set up your Fibre router
Please follow the steps below to set up your Fibre router.
Once the CPE box is installed in your home:
- Connect the ethernet cable from LAN Port 1 on the CPE/ONT device (the device that has been mounted on the wall) into the WAN/Internet port on your Afrihost fibre router. Ensure CPE is powered up and lights are showing on the device.
- Then connect a LAN/ Ethernet cable from a WAN port on your fibre router to your computer OR connect wirelessly to the routers network (the 2.5 GHz or 5 GHz one) and the password will be written on a sticker underneath it.
- The ethernet ‘LINK’ light must show on the CPE and the WAN port of your router. If the link light is present, it means that your fibre router is powered up correctly.
- You will then be able to connect to the internet at 10Mbps for 2 hours in order to activate your fibre account.
Activate your Fibre account
Once connected to the CPE you need to activate your account.
Activate your Fibre. Read our How to activate your Fibre article for instructions.
Once activated, do the following to set up your router for PPPoE connection:
- Open your preferred internet browser. Enter 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and press enter.
- You will be taken to the router login screen.
For the username enter ‘admin’.
Leave the password field empty.
- Click ‘Login’.
- Now click ‘Start’ to start the ‘Internet Connection Setup Wizard’.
- Select your language and click ‘Continue’.
- From the drop-down menu select ‘Wired Connection’ for the connection type and click ‘Next’.
- From the drop-down menu select ‘Router’ for the work mode and click ‘Next’.
- From the drop-down menu select ‘PPPoE’ as the WAN connection type and click ‘Next’.
- Enter the username (email@example.com) and the password and click ‘Next’.
- Configure the 2.4Ghz network name and password and click ‘Next’.
- Configure the 5Ghz network name and password and click ‘Next’.
- Do not enable IPTV, click ‘Next’.
- Do not enable VOIP, click ‘Next’.
- Set up the new password for the router if it is the first time logging in and click ‘Next’.
- Please note the summary of your settings or to download the configuration backup file.
- Click ‘Apply’ to save these settings
If you wish to change your wireless network settings please follow the steps below:
- On the router’s main page click ‘Wireless Settings’.
- Select ‘Wireless Connection Setup’.
- Under the Network Name (SSID) change the name(s) to whatever you want it to be.
- Make sure you choose ‘Manually Assign a Network Key’ and click ‘Next’.
- Choose a password for your network under ‘Wireless Security Password’ and click ‘Next’.
- You will be taken to a summary page, click ‘Save’ to confirm your changes.
The settings will take a short while to save and then you will be connected.