What is an ONT/ CPE device?
An ONT is an Optical Network Terminal, also known as a CPE which is a Client Premises Equipment.
This device connects the fibre box that has been installed outside of your house, to your modem.
The ONT is usually a small white plastic box that will be placed on a wall inside. They may vary in size and colour depending on the provider doing the installation.
Where should it be installed?
It’s important to consider where the ONT is to be placed inside before a technician arrives to install. This is important because if you wish to move it at a later stage this may incur additional charges.
The CPE will take up a small space against a wall. You will need to consider how you want to connect devices in your home.
Your modem will plug into your ONT so it should ideally be:
- Placed near an accessible power point (The CPE requires a standard South African power source).
- Somewhere you will be using the internet the most.
- Away from a busy area where it might be knocked or damaged.
- In a central location in your home for optimal use of your Wi-Fi.
- Near an existing telephone or network cable.
- Easy access to the Internet for heavy devices such as televisions.