What is an ONT/ CPE device?
An ONT is an Optical Network Terminal, also known as a CPE which is a Client Premises Equipment.
This device connects the fibre box that has been installed outside of your house, to your modem.
The ONT is usually a small white plastic box that will be placed on a wall inside.
Where should it be installed?
It’s important to consider where the ONT is to be placed inside before a technician arrives to install. This is important because if you wish to move it at a later stage this may incur additional charges.
The CPE will take up a small space against a wall. You will need to consider how you want to connect devices in your home.
Your modem will plug into your ONT so it should ideally be:
- Placed near an accessible power point (The CPE requires a standard South African power source).
- Somewhere you will be using the internet the most.
- Away from a busy area where it might be knocked or damaged.
- In a central location in your home for optimal use of your wifi.
- Near an existing telephone or network cable.
- Easy access to the Internet for heavy devices such as televisions.