With the introduction of Telkom Fixed LTE to the Afrihost product offerings, we are able to offer clients greater network coverage.
Fixed LTE is a great alternative to ADSL or Fibre and offers you the convenience of moving your device around instead of having to go through the cancellation and re-installation process. Our capped Telkom LTE data packages come in a variety of sizes tailored to your usage requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does it take for my package to activate?
LTE SIMs can take up to 24 hours to activate after delivery.
- Can existing Afrihost Cell C or Rain clients migrate to Telkom Fixed LTE?
Unfortunately not, existing Afrihost Cell C or Rain LTE clients will need to cancel their existing packages and sign up for a new Telkom LTE package via ClientZone. Cancellation policy applies.
- Can I migrate from Fibre to Fixed LTE?
Fixed LTE and Fibre are different products. You can sign up for Fixed LTE and keep your Fibre connection. Or, alternatively, you can cancel your Fibre package after you’ve signed up for Fixed LTE.
- What is the cancellation policy for the Telkom Fixed LTE packages?
Should you cancel your Fixed LTE package in less than 6 months from signup date, or your account falls into arrears, you will automatically be charged a cancellation fee of R999.
- What is the difference between Anytime data and Night Time data?
Anytime data can be used anytime of the day. Night time data is valid from specified times.
- When is Night Time data valid?
Telkom Night Time data is only valid from 00:00 (midnight) to 07:00 daily.
- Does Telkom LTE data roll over?
Yes, in-bundle Anytime data will roll over for 30 days. Night Time data does NOT roll over.
- How long is Top up data for Telkom LTE valid for?
Your Anytime top up data expires 60 days from purchase and your Night Time top up data expires 30 days from purchase.
- My Telkom Fixed LTE data top up is not showing.
Telkom Fixed LTE top ups may take up to 2 business days to reflect. This is because top ups have to be manually submitted to Telkom. You will receive an email once your topup has been processed by Telkom. PLEASE NOTE: Telkom top ups submitted after 17:00 on weekdays, on weekends or public holidays will only be submitted to Telkom the following business day.
- My Internet is off and I can’t see my data usage in ClientZone.
If you have reached your data limit, your internet will stop working. Data usage for Telkom Fixed LTE in ClientZone will NOT be displayed in real-time. This is because of restrictions on Telkom’s side. Data usage will only be updated once daily at 12:00 and will reflect the data usage as at 17:00 the PREVIOUS day.
- Can I use my own device?
No, your Telkom SIM card is only compatible with the LTE device supplied with your order. Please note that you also need to be in the Telkom Network coverage area.
- How many people can connect at the same time?
You can connect up to 32 wireless devices concurrently to the included Huawei LTE-A device. Please note that speeds may be affected by the number of devices connected to your modem.
- Do I need to change any settings on my LTE device to connect to my Fixed LTE package?
No, you do not need to change any settings on your modem when connecting to your new Telkom Fixed LTE device. This is a plug-and-play modem. If you are using your new LTE SIM card with your own device, please visit see our Set Up Guide for instructions on how to get connected.
- What if I already have an LTE device? Can I sign up for a SIM only package?
Yes, a SIM only option is available.
- Can I use a Telkom LTE SIM in my mobile device?
Your Telkom LTE SIM card is meant to be used with the device included in your order.
- What happens to my LTE device and SIM when I move?
You take your device and SIM card with you. If there is coverage in your area you can connect, however, Afrihost will not be held liable if there is no network at your new location.
- Do I need to RICA my Telkom LTE SIM card?
ALL SIM cards need to be RICA compliant. To RICA the SIM card you will need your ID or Passport and Proof of Residence not older than 3 months. RICA is done by the courier on delivery.
- Are the LTE speeds guaranteed?
Telkom’s LTE-A Network averages speeds between 20-40 Mbps, however, average speeds remain device and coverage dependent.
- Why is my data being used faster on an LTE connection compared to the 3G network connection?
When streaming any content or using applications (YouTube, streaming, Skype etc.) over an LTE connection the data transmission rate is much faster which means that your data is consumed faster than on a 3G connection. If your connection quality is better, the stream will choose a better quality bit rate of streaming which results in significantly more data usage while streaming on an LTE connection compared to a 3G connection. Subscribers that sign up for an LTE package are advised to subscribe to the bigger volume bundles.
- Where are the aerials for my router?
The Huawei LTE-A Wireless Modem has a high gain antenna built into the device, but should you require you can purchase additional external antennas separately from a Telkom store.