The difference between Capped and Uncapped data
- Capped data has a set data amount per month and is determined by the package signed up.
- Once allocated data is depleted, a data top up is required to regain a connection.
- Our intention is not to shape Capped Data packages, however, shaping can be applied during times of network congestion.
- Capped top ups can be expensive as it is billed per GB.
- Afrihost allows up to 5 concurrent connections for 5 different locations under one account.
- Capped Data will give you higher speeds and less bandwidth.
Capped data is not available on Afrihost Fibre products, ADSL products only.
DSL Capped Package Free Data Hours
Monthly Capped DSL Packages (excluding 1 GB) will receive Free, Unlimited After-Hours Data between Midnight and 8 AM every day. (00:00 - 08:00)
- Unlimited data per month, no worrying about the amount of data used.
- No data top ups required.
- Some Uncapped packages may be subjected to shaping and throttling according to Afrihost’s Acceptable Usage Policy. Please note, however, that Pure Fibre packages are uncapped, unshaped and unthrottled - There are no usage thresholds so you can use as much data as you like, whenever you like. No throttling or shaping will be applied.
- Limited to 1 DSL line and concurrent connections are not permitted.
- Uncapped Data will give you more bandwidth and less speed. (Subject to package option)
Generally, uncapped accounts run off a higher ‘contention ratio’ than capped accounts. This means that generally more users are allocated to share a certain amount of bandwidth in Uncapped than in Capped.
Shaping and Throttling. You can visit our Network Management page to see examples of how dynamic shaping and throttling works on our network.