# Get Sorted
Domains / Hosting
or browse the Help Centre by category
How to register a domain name
Registering a domain name gives you ownership of a unique online address that you can use to establish a web presence for your company or personal brand. Using that address, people will be able to find and visit your website or send you emails. Registering a domain name only means you are reserving the domain name and will only be charged the registration fee only. In order to host a website and/or emails you will need to sign up for a monthly package.
If you would like to register a domain, host emails, and a website, please read our Help Centre article.
If you would like to register a domain and sign up for an email-only package, please read our Help Centre article.
- Go to the Afrihost order form
- Click on the ‘Web Domains’ tab.
- Select ‘Domain Registration’.
- You will now be presented with two options:
Domain parking enables you to register and reserve a domain name for future use. It is a good way to ensure that a domain name you wish to use in the future will not be registered by someone else in the meantime.
Domain forwarding or pointing is the rerouting of a domain name to another web address. You can point any domain name you own to any other domain name of your choice.
- Select ‘Domain Parking'.
- Click on ‘New Domain’, to register a new domain that does not exist yet.
- Next, enter the domain name you want to register in the search box to ensure that the domain name is available.
- All available domains will be listed on the right. Make sure that your domain name is selected and click on ‘Next Step’.
- You will now be taken to your shopping cart. Please check your domain details and click on ‘Checkout’ to complete your order.
You will receive an e-mail to confirm the order. The domain registration process may take 2 to 72 hours.