How to set up your domain email account in Gmail
If you prefer to use Gmail, you can import your Afrihost domain emails into your Gmail account.
You can easily import your old emails and continue to sync any new incoming domain emails with Google.
If you would like to know How to access Webmail, please read our Help Centre article for further assistance.
- Go to gmail.com
- Log into your Gmail mailbox.
- Select the gear icon to access settings.
- Select ‘See all Settings’ from the drop-down options.
- Select the ‘Accounts and Import’ tab at the top
- Next to Check email from other accounts, select ‘Add a mail account’.
- A popup window will appear, enter your full domain email.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Select ‘Import emails from my other account (POP3)’.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Enter the mail settings for your domain.
Username: Full domain email
Password: Email password
POP Server: Enter mail(dot)the domain name. eg:mail.yourdomainname.co.za
- Check box 'Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server'.
- Check box 'Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail' (recommended).
Uncheck this box if you are using non SSL settings. When using non SSL settings, select Port 110 from the Port drop-down.
- Check box 'Label incoming messages'.
- Click ‘Add Account’.
- You will be notified that your domain mail account has been added and set to receive your domain email to your Gmail account.
You will be prompted with an option to be able to send mail using your domain email address. Clicking Yes will let you compose email messages in Gmail but send them as the domain email account.
- Select ‘Yes’ and click ‘Next’.
- Enter your name
- Untick ‘Treat as an alias’ and select ‘Next Step’.
SMTP Server - Enter mail(dot)the domain name. eg:mail.yourdomainname.co.za
Username: Full domain email.
Password: Email password.
- Select ‘Secured connection using SSL (recommended)’.
For Non-SSL settings select Port 587 or 25 from the Port drop down. Check ‘Secured connection using TLS’ (if using non SSL)
- Select ‘Add account’
- Click on the verification link or enter the confirmation code sent to your domain email account to verify your email address.
- Click Verify.
The import process is now complete, and you may now send and receive your domain email using Gmail account.
- POP uses port 995 with SSL secure encryption and port 110 for non SSL encryption.
- IMAP uses port 993 with SSL secure encryption and port 143 for non SSL encryption.
- SMTP uses port 465 with SSL secure encryption and port 587 or 25 for non SSL encryption.
For more on Afrihost Internet Services settings, visit our Configuration Settings (web page.
Unable to establish secure SSL connection
- Ensure that you are using correct SSL port numbers
In rare situation, mail. (dot) domain name. e.g: mail.domainname.co.za may not work on both Incoming mail server settings and Outgoing mail server settings (SMTP). In these cases, the server name must be used instead. e.g : shared.aserv.co.za
Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.
- Ensure that you are using the correct domain email and password. If you don’t remember the password, please update it. Read our article on How to update your email password.
There was a problem connecting to mail. (dot) domain name
- Disable SSL , Uncheck ‘Always use a secure connection (SSL)' if you are using a non SSL
- Log in to ClientZone.
- Select the ‘Hosting’ tab.
- Select the domain name.
- Under the ‘Account Overview’ section on the left-hand side, you will see the ‘Afrihost server’ name.
Afrihost server name example: shared.aserv.co.za