# Get Sorted
Domains / Hosting
or browse the Help Centre by category
How to generate a CSR and install an SSL certificate in SolidCP
CSR stands for Certificate Signing Request and is one of the first steps to getting your SSL certificate. The CSR contains information such as the domain name, organisation, province, and country. The CSR information is used to purchase an SSL certificate from a vendor. SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer and is used to keep your internet connection safe and secure. The SSL ensures that visitors can trust your website to protect their user identity, details, and safety.
A vendor is an authorised certificate provider.
If you would like to know How to install Let's Encrypt SSL certificate in SolidCP, please read our Help Centre article.
If you would like to know more about SSL Certificates, please read our Help Centre article.
- Log into SolidCP.
- Under Web & Applications, click on ‘Web Sites’.
- Select the website you wish to install the SSL certificate.
If you would like to know How to add a subdomain in SolidCP, please read our Help Centre article.
- Select the ‘SSL’ tab.
- Select the ‘Generate CSR’ button.
If you already have the CSR generated, please proceed to ‘Upload Certificate’.
Let’s Encrypt is a free SSL certificate that is valid for three months. The normal certificate is purchased and valid for 12 months.
- Fill in the form with the required information to generate the CSR.
- Below, click on ‘Generate CSR’.
- Select Certificate Type: Choose the website from the drop-down menu to which you wish to install the SSL certificate.
- Bit Length: 2048bit. (This is the size of the certificate.)
- Organisation: Your company name.
- Organization unit: Your company department.
- Country: South Africa.
- State/Province: Enter the province that you wish to show on the SSL.
- City/Locality: Enter the city where you reside.
- Once the CSR is generated, it will be displayed on the screen.
- Copy the CSR code and send it to a vendor to purchase an SSL certificate.
You can send the CSR to our hosting department to request the certificate. Our hosting team will reply to your email with the packages and prices to choose from. Once you have confirmed a package the hosting team will send you the SSL key.
The CSR code should be copied exactly as shown below.
- Once you have received the SSL key from your vendor, paste it in the certificate text area below the CSR.
- Click ‘Install Certificate’.
- Once the certificate has been successfully installed, click on ‘Save changes and Exit’.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the SSL certificate on your website.
You can use SSL shopper to check the certificate is installed correctly and the expiry date.