# Get Sorted
Domains / Hosting
or browse the Help Centre by category
How to create an FTP account in cPanel
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard network protocol used for the transfer of computer files between a client's computer and a server on a computer network. File Transfer Protocol allows you or your website developer access to your website files or to transfer files from a computer (or server) onto a server.
- An FTP client (software) can be used to log into a server and access and edit files as desired.
- An FTP client can also be used to upload files, e.g., website.
- FTP login information can be accessed/retrieved in ClientZone.
The login details were sent in the FTP documentation on registration.
Follow these instructions if you need to reset the password:
- Log into ClientZone.
- Click on the ‘Hosting’ tab.
- Select the domain in question.
- Click on 'Website Manager'.
- Click on 'Reset Password'.
Copy the FTP (cPanel) username and password that pop up on your screen.
You can create FTP accounts to give access to other users without having to give your cPanel and ClientZone credentials to anyone. This can be done in cPanel.
- Log into cPanel.
- Under the Files section, select ‘FTP Accounts’.
- Enter the necessary information in the required fields.
Use the directory field to determine the level of access for a user. The FTP user will not be able to navigate outside of the specified directory.
- Click on the ‘Create FTP Account’ button at the bottom once done.
- Your newly created FTP account will display under ‘FTP Accounts’.
You can use an FTP client such as FileZilla to access the FTP accounts.
If you would like to know How to upload files using FileZilla, please read our Help Centre article for assistance.
If you would like to know How to create an FTP account in CWP, please read our Help Centre article for assistance.